Updated on January 12, 2023
Every car owner tries as much as they can to invest in powerful dashcams. While all dashcams are meant to aid in recording events around your car, not all of them give impressive results. Some are better than others, and the AUKEY DR02 dash cam stands among the best.
Like the smaller single unit DR01, the upgraded AUKEY dash cam DR02 is also a single camera device, meaning it cannot record out of the front and rear simultaneously (like the DR02 D). It records footage at 1080p resolution and a super-wide 170° field of view. What’s even more impressive is the video is steady and clear. Again, at its price point, you get absolute value for money.
|AUKEY DR02||Check Price →|
Before we dive into our in-depth AUKEY DR02 review, let’s take a look at some of the all-important specs:
- Display: 1.5″ LCD
- Processor: NT96663
- Image Sensor: Sony Exmor IMX323 2.3 Megapixel CMOS Sensors
- Lens: Front camera – 170°
- Aperture: Front camera – f/1.8
- Image format: JPEG
- Video: 1080p
- Input: DC 5V 1A-2A
- Memory: External –Class 10 Micro-SD Card up to 128GB
- Recording Modes: Loop recording, motion detection, emergency recording, and time-lapse
- Package Contents: AUKEY DR02 device, Dual-Port USB Car Charger, USB Mini-B Power Cable (4m/4.37yd), Sticker Mount, Two 3M Stickers, Six Cable Clips, User Manual, 24-Month Warranty Card
Build Quality and Installation
The AUKEY DR02 has a small footprint. It has dimensions of 2.2″ x 2.2″ x 1.2″. Its small size makes fit perfectly behind your rearview mirror without much hassle. The dashcam comes with a mount included for the price. The cam attaches on the mount using a clip while the mount attaches on the windshield with the aid of a double-sided 3M pads (included).
The build quality is acceptable. The majority of parts of the outer body is built of ABS plastic. This material is sufficiently strong as a dashcam should be, especially at this price point.
Ease Of Use
The central unit has a 1.5-inch display. Thus it has no control buttons or screen. Nonetheless, the camera doesn’t require much configuration except for changing of resolution and loop file size.
The camera also allows you to enable essential functions such as time-lapse and motion detection easily. With these features, you get surveillance features whenever you park your car.
Sadly, the AUKEY dash cam DR02 doesn’t have built-in GPS capabilities, but a GPS antenna can be purchased at an additional cost. By default, you won’t get a range of warning alerts including speed limits, and lane departure detection, among others. This should be a standard feature in 2023, but again, for the money, it’s not something one should expect. Maybe in the near future.
The primary role of any dashcam is to record events. This way, you have evidence in case of undesirable incidences on the road or when you park your car. With this cam, you not only get video footage, but you can also record audio within your car. Audio recording is optional and can be switched off. Let’s discuss picture quality in detail:
The camera records footage at 1080p. This is a desirable feature in many cameras. The footage delivered by the AUKEY DR02 is decent. Colour reproduction is more than acceptable, while the details are suitable for a full HD.
The AUKEY dash cam DR02 retains resolution and data frame but sacrifices on the angle. The camera records video at a field of view of 170° which is an impressive figure, and wide enough for good visuals by any standards.
The night vision is nothing short of impressive. It delivers images with incredible clarity. The sharp images and footage from this dash cam are due to the combination of the Sony Exmor IMX323 and Samsung’s powerful NT96663 CPU.
The camera doesn’t have a battery. Instead, it has an internal supercapacitor. A standard car 12/24V socket powers it through the included dual-port USB car charger. The device powers on automatically when you start the car. It will switch off when you turn off the car engine. The supercapacitor has the advantage of withstanding extreme temperatures and higher operational life.
Summary Of Main Features
- Captures sharp full HD videos
- Angle view of enables full road coverage
- Compact design
- Sudden stops and sharp turns activate an emergency recording
- Easy installation. Besides, it comes with extra mounts and adhesive pads
- Decent Full HD footage
- Bet price point
- The installation process is easy
- The compact design is desirable in a dashcam
- Fit, finish, and functionality are all decent
- GPS missing
- The only problem that a majority of users report is the included charger. It is either faulty or loose, and in turn, it causes the camera to restart randomly
- You’ll notice that for the camera to start, you have to insert the charging cable into the 12v socket. Again, to put off the camera, you need to pull out the cable
Being able to monitor what happens in front of your car is very handy, especially in case of accidents. It’s imperative to not just have any footage, but clear and detailed footage to identify number plates and faces where necessary.
The AUKEY DR02 captures decent imagery and can record audio within your car, and it locks valuable video files in case of collision. So if you are seeking an affordable yet powerful dashcam, do not hesitate to pick this camera.
Ash loves cars and gadgets. He is a Business IT graduate who loves spending time with his family and friends.