Updated on January 12, 2023
Most dash cam manufacturers in recent days are offering smaller devices for sale yet retaining or improving the level of performance. This can be challenging and isn’t always pulled off as planned. One dash cam for sure though, which has everybody’s ears ringing in the industry, is the VAVA dash cam. At 2.8 x 2.8 x 1.1 inches and weighing only 2.8 ounces, this is a very small dash cam that packs a huge punch. We couldn’t let this one pass without taking a closer look at all the fuss. Being a mid-range device in terms of cost, it’s important to know what you’ll be paying for in terms of features, quality, and value offered, all of which can be found below in our latest VAVA dash cam review.
VAVA Dash Cam Summary
The VAVA Dash Cam is a single-unit front dash cam. It stands out for its top-quality video recordings, competitive pricing, and two unique features – longer battery life (up to 72 hours in parking mode) and 360-degree swivel angle. But conspicuously missing on this powerful yet tiny dash cam is an LCD viewing screen.
It has an app, which is compatible with both android and iOS. While the App isn’t feature-rich, it gets the job done. And what’s even more impressive is the non-standard design compared to other vehicle cameras. The hardware looks super-fine in terms of both functionality and aesthetics.
|VAVA Dash Cam||Check Price →|
- Processor: NOVATEK NT96663
- Image Sensor: Sony IMX291CMOS
- Resolution: 1920 x [email protected]
- Lens: Real 155° with an F/1.8 aperture
- Video Playback: Support view on PC/TV/Dash Cam
- Battery: Built-in 320mAh
- Storage: Supports 32-128GB, (Class 10 Micro SD), Recommend Samsung Evo Card
- Microphone & Speaker: built-in
- GPS: Built-in
- Operating Temperature:-4℉-122℉
- System: Windows 7, 8 and 10, XP, Vista, and Mac
- Wi-Fi & APP: Yes
Design and Build Quality
The VAVA dashcam without the mount closely resembles a hockey puck. It comes with a suction mount, upon which the camera holds magnetically. The union allows 360-degree rotation of the dash cam, which means you can capture the exterior and interior of your car very easily simply by rotating to your desired positions.
In the box, the dashcam comes with a USB cable and, an auxiliary power adapter, a snapshot button, and it has two standard USB ports. You power your VAVA dash Cam via a micro-USB jack. Unique to this camera is that the GPS unit is on the USB cable as opposed to the camera itself or on a mount. You fix the lightweight unit to either the dash or windshield using sticky tape.
The opposite side of the lens features a captive rubber cover. The rubber pops off to reveal a slot for the SDHC card and two status lights. A red light indicates recording, full memory, or errors, while blue is normal operation.
When you power on your camera, it automatically enters record mode—no real-time connection to the APP. The quality of the images is decent for both day and night footage. The angle of the recording is relatively wide, though not the widest we’ve seen. At 155 degrees viewing angle (like the Z-Edge Z3 Plus), the VAVA dashcam captures events up to 5 lanes wide. This is more than sufficient for everyday driving on highways and roads. Furthermore, the ability to swivel the camera 360-degrees, makes it possible to capture at any angle when required.
You’ll love the richness of the still images and recorded videos. Capturing events at FHD [email protected], supported by the powerful Novatek NT96663 CPU and Sony IMX291 CMOS image sensor, leaves you with crisp and color-rich footage for detailed playback.
Nighttime footage is well-formed, thanks to the Sony sensor and f/2.0 aperture. The two features handle low light conditions excellently. Thus, ensuring flawless views from the camera.
It is possible to capture unexpected moments. The VAVA dashcam has a snapshot button that sits on the steering wheel. When you see something unusual, press the button. If you long-press the button, it shoots a 20-second video. In our opinion, this is an excellent feature that saves reaching up to the device; having steering wheel functionality is much more convenient and safe for the driver.
Other Vava Dash Cam Features
- 24-Hour Parking Monitor: It monitors your car’s surroundings and records any trigger in a 15-second video. When the car engine isn’t running, the 320mAh battery powers the camera. Keep in mind this function depends on the constant supply of power to work.
- Loop Recording: It is activated automatically when the engine starts. It saves videos it records using the auto-looping mechanism. The videos are in 1 or 2 minutes.
- G-Sensor: The dashcam records and locks unexpected accidents when it senses an impact.
- Built-In GPS: Once you start your car, the dash cam along with GPS functions powers-on. It will capture the speed of travel, the location of your vehicle as well as the coordinates. With such a function, you can check as well as share your travel logs through the VAVA phone app. The App displays the location of your car using Google Maps.
- Audio Recording: You can also record sound and audio. The product has an in-built sensitive speaker and microphone so that you can capture conversations in your car. Remember, this function is activated by default. Nevertheless, you can turn it OFF in settings.
- WIFI: Connect the device to your smartphone or laptop for viewing of recorded data. This rules out the need for cables. When you connect to the Wi-Fi, ensure it is within a 5-meter range to avoid interruptions.
Wi-Fi and The VAVA App
The VAVA dash cam App seems to do a lot more than we first thought. It works with iOS and android platforms flawlessly. However, if you have an android device, upgrade the App to V2.3.3 version. Through the phone App, you can view real-time photos and live viewing among many other functions. For example, you can share videos on your social media account or share media directly with the insurance company or police as evidence. Additionally, the VAVA App is instrumental in managing your dash cam settings, considering there is no LCD screen on the device like traditional dashboard cams.
- The night time vision is impressive
- Battery life is decent
- Installing the camera is straightforward
- The phone App works without flaws – connects easily and settings are easy to adjust
- Snapshot button is an excellent addition for taking emergency videos and images
- The camera has a perfect mounting – suction, sticky and mounting tape
- A bit pricey
- Lacks a screen, which could be a problem for some people
Though the VAVA dash cam has sacrificed some features like a screen display, the camera still performs better than its competitors. You’ll record high-quality footage and audio both day and night without a doubt. Additionally, the ability to swivel the device to point your lens in any direction is a nice bonus. One of our favorite features is the snapshot button allows you to capture unexpected moments right at your fingertips from the steering wheel vicinity.
So if you are out to buy a highly functional WIFI dash cam with GPS, Parking Monitor, G-Sensor and much more, the VAVA dashcam is one to consider.
Ash loves cars and gadgets. He is a Business IT graduate who loves spending time with his family and friends.