Updated on January 20, 2023
Vantrue has been making dash cams for some time now. They aren’t your everyday cheap startup that comes along, and before you know, it is a name of the past. We have reviewed Vantrue dash cams before (Vantrue N2, and the 2K resolution Vantrue R2). However, the N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam is the latest in their lineup of in-car cameras.
Before we take a deep dive into our Vantrue N2 Pro review, let’s take a look at the technical specifications.
N2 Pro At A Glance
|Vantrue N2 Pro||Check Price →|
- Display: 1.5-inch TFT LCD monitor (4:3)
- Sensor: OV4689Front Cam; Sony IMX323 Rear Cam
- Processor: NOVATEK NT96660
- Front lens: 170-degree wide-angle and full 6-layer glass lens with a wide aperture of F/2.0
- Rear lens: 140-degree wide-angle and full 6-layer glass lens with a wide aperture of F/2.0
- Image: JPEG/16M
- Video: H.264 compressed format;
- Dual Cam mode: 1920 x 1080p + 1920 x 1080p; 1280x 720p + 1280 x 720p
- Single Front Cam mode: 2560 x 1440p 30fps
- Memory: 4M Internal memory; External – Class 10 Micro SD card up to 256GB
- Battery: 250mAh Li-ion battery
- Video playback: supports view on PC
- Operating Temperature: 32 – 158 Fahrenheit
The Vantrue N2 Pro is a dual-camera dash cam, which means it records what’s happening at the front of the vehicle and inside your car cabin too. Plus, it has optional audio capabilities for recording cabin noise. What you’ll find surprising is that N2 Pro records video seamlessly without necessarily showing it on the screen, thanks to the Auto LCD OFF. This reduces distractions from the screen while you drive. The overall recorded picture quality is very impressive, and it offers excellent usability. What makes it a standout is its true night vision capabilities. That means the camera can record videos both day and night for added peace of mind.
Vantrue N2 Pro Video Recording
The powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU enhances the performance of this camera. Both cameras, i.e., the front and the inside camera, record Full HD videos. The OV4689 sensor on the front camera has numerous photosites for perfect quality visual reproduction.
Thus, it records videos at 2.5k, 2560 x 1440P at 30fps when used alone. Still, you can use it alone at 1920 x 1080p at 60fps or with the interior cam. The interior cam has a Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor, which delivers flawless videos.
The camera has excellent angle coverage for the road. At 170°, the front camera captures the entire road ahead of you while the 140° interior cam captures the entire passenger cabin. Undoubtedly, you’ll have a clear view of what is happening inside and around the entire frontage of your car.
Furthermore, you can rotate the rear cabin camera up to 80°. This allows capturing moments outside the vehicle or those on the edge of the usual recording field.
The night video capabilities are what make the Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam beat other similarly priced car cameras. You can get good usable footage, even in total darkness. The camera has powerful inbuilt 4 IR LED lights, available in both the interior and exterior cams. However, it is useful for the interior more than the exterior, considering the exterior of a car is considerably lit.
The 4 IR LED lights and the Sony IMX323 sensor give footage without distractions. And that’s why N2 Pro is ideal for Uber and Lyft drivers.
Remember, the cam has an F/1.8 and F2.0 lens aperture for the front and interior cameras, respectively. These, alongside the HDR video system, produce a balanced video.
Other Critical Recording Aspects
- Loop Recording: N2 Pro allows continuous recording even when the SD card is full. It overwrites previous records once the SD card reaches the size limit. However, you can protect some files from overwriting by manually pressing the “Protect File Button” or activating the G-sensor.
- G-Sensor: It allows your camera to save videos of interest. Such videos cannot be automatically deleted or overwritten. It is essential in case an accident occurs. Thus, important in case of an investigation.
- GPS function: This is an optional function. You’ll need to buy the N2 PRO GPS mount to use it. It can record speed, location, and driving route.
- Time-lapse: Takes photos at specified intervals automatically and edits them to a video clip. As such, you can play them much faster. This function allows you to record movements, changes, or events taking place over a long period. Still, it captures frames for a time-lapse video of a multi-week road trip.
- 24-hour Motion Detection: Once you park your car, the N2 Pro automatically switches to parking mode. Its motion detectors auto-record any motion that’s either at the front or inside the car. The dashcam, however, needs a constant supply of power to operate in this mode. You can use the external battery pack or hardwire.
- Audio Recording: The Vantrue N2 Pro dash cam can record conversations if you want it to. It comes with a highly sensitive built-in microphone and speaker to capture sounds from both the exterior and interior of your car. Simply press ON/OFF the recording dedicated button to get started. Otherwise, you can use the Autostart and record function. This means the camera will start recording once the ignition is on.
This device has some downsides, too, though not pronounced. For instance, the camera lacks Wi-Fi and App capabilities. Below are a list of the pros and cons summarized:
Dash cams are essential security features for car owners. The N2 Pro offers strong performance guaranteeing you and your car safety. Though it misses some features, it is still a great buy. Notably, the infrared night vision makes this camera a perfect standout. At its price, it isn’t expensive for the features it packs. Stay safe with the Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam, it won’t disappoint.
Ash loves cars and gadgets. He is a Business IT graduate who loves spending time with his family and friends.