Updated on July 29, 2023
There are a handful of key features that a dash cam must possess in order to be worth installing in your vehicle.
Rove is one of those electronics manufacturers that has been making mid-range dash cams available for some time and has a successful lineup of devices ready for your needs. High up on the list if you’re after a Rove dash cam is the R2-4K.
Rove R2-4K Summary
|Rove R2-4K||Check Price →|
Based on our recent findings, it meets every expectation of a modern-day dash cam. It packs innovative software and hardware that results in a personalized recording experience. It is a 4K camera and works perfectly in low light intensity; the videos are explicit both day and night. If you live in areas with busy traffic and crazy drivers, this vehicle camera will give you a view of everything happening around your car or truck.
Before we dive deep into the review, let’s take a quick look at some of the technical specifications:
- Display: 2.4-inch LCD monitor
- Image Sensor: OV4689 4MP CMOS 4:3 Sensor
- Processor: NOVATEK NT96660
- Front lens: 150-degree wide-angle and 6-Glass wide-angle lens with a large aperture of F1.8
- Image: JPEG/16M
- Video: 2160p Ultra-HD/ 24fps (4K)
- Memory: 4M Internal memory; External –Class 10 U3 Speed Micro-SD Cardup to 128GB
- Battery: 250mAh Li-ion battery
- Media playback: Supports MP4
- Wi-Fi and GPS: Yes
- ROVE App: Yes
- Operating Temperature: 32 – 158 Fahrenheit
- Rotation: 360° rotating suction mount
- Emergency recording: Built-in 3-Axis Impact G‒Sensor
Rove R2-4K Video Recording
The significance of a vehicle dashboard camera is to give clear videos that can be used without fail when required. The Rove R2-4K fulfills this promise. The camera has Ultra HD 4K capabilities recording videos at 24fps. With a higher resolution (2160p), you get an ultra-HD recording whose quality is more than impressive. The R2 knocks down other more expensive dashcams for its better video quality, even at 1080p. It has higher stability and higher-quality footage.
While it does not match the IR camera capabilities when it comes to night vision, this product still delivers outstanding nighttime videos. The saved videos and images are clear, despite the low light intensity. This is thanks to the powerful Novatek NT96660 processors and the OV4689CMOS Sensor.
Additionally, the camera’s F/1.8 largest aperture, which captures more light and the 6-Glass wide-angle lens, is instrumental in giving smaller clearer details. Even in total darkness, you still get images with usable details.
The Rove R2-4K records the road at 150-degrees wide. Although it isn’t as wide as some (for example, 170° for devices like the Vantrue N2 Pro) at 150° together with the A+ lens viewing angle, you will no doubt capture all the required details of the immediately ahead of you. What’s more, is that the camera has the WDR (wide dynamic range) function. The function processes image making sure that what you receive is clear both in dark and bright light.
As a result, the Rove R2-4K can combine multiple images at different brightness levels, creating a single superior image for you to playback whenever you chose. Simply put, the WDR function allows the camera to record explicit UHD details in contrasting light; you can capture clear and vivid license plates and road signs both during the day and night.
Other Recording Features
- Loop Recording: It allows continuous, high-quality recording even when the SD card is full. It overwrites previous records once the SD card reaches the size limit.
- In-built G-Sensor: Sudden collision activates this feature, making it lock the current video files – an essential aspect at times of an accident. Furthermore, it also records a 3-axis impact on the X-Y-Z graph to give a precise location of impact. Where this Rove dash cam beats others is, the G-sensor is setting with increments of 10%, offering nine different settings. Others have only three settings.
- GPS function: The built-in GPS records speed, location, and driving route. Most others require an optional module, but the R2-4K comes with it prebuilt.
- Time-lapse: You can capture particular images per second but at a slower rate. But when you combine and play, everything will move at a standard rate.
- 24-hour Motion Detection: This function utilizes the internal battery. When someone hits your car, the G-sensor senses the impact prompting the device to turn on. The dashboard camera records a 1-min video and locks it. When you enter the vehicle, it alerts you through an alert.
Wi-Fi and App
The Rove R2-4K has Wi-Fi functionality. You can view your driving route and tracker on Google maps using the free custom app. With the Rove app, you can access videos to watch on your smartphone whenever you like. Furthermore, you can stream videos within 10 ft., download previously located videos, or view already recorded videos. What’s best, the smartphone app allows you to change settings very easily.
The device comes with 2 mounts, i.e., a suction mount and a 3M Spare Sticky Mount. Both mounts have 360° rotation. This allows you to set up the camera at whatever angle fits your need.
Note: The Rove R2 doesn’t come with an SD card, so you have to buy one. The dash cam supports up to 128GB class 10 – U3 speed micro SD card (like this Samsung).
The Rove R2-4K dash cam offers very good value for money. Undoubtedly, it’s a top-shelf product that will act as your third eye, whether you are in or away from your car. It has features that record and keep the videos safe just in case something undesirable comes up. With a bunch of accessories in the box and features such as built-in GPS, WIFI connectivity, and 4K Ultra HD resolution, the Rove dash cam is a good choice for even the fussiest consumer.
With more than 20 years of experience in the automotive industry, Ash possesses a deep understanding of the diverse needs and challenges faced by drivers on the road. His relentless commitment to road safety and ongoing research is fueled by a genuine desire to create safer environments for all drivers.